Home | Boats For Sale | Boats Sold | Backlot | Boat Register | Contact
Woodenboat Register

Online Boat Register


Couta Boat

Name of Boat

Muriel
(Previously Ruby)

Owner's Name

Tim Phillips 

Boat Location

Lentel Avenue Sorrento 

Registration No.

 

Sail No.

C17 

Dimensions

Feet & Inches  Outside of stem to outside of transom

Overall Length

26' 

Maximum Draft

 

Maximum Beam

 

Centreplate Case Length

 

Construction

Planking
Structure
Framing

Carvel Clinker
Open 1/2 Cabin Cabin

Rig

Gaff Lug

Ballast

Weight

 

Material

 

Engine

Make

 

Horsepower

 

Heritage

Built

1917 

Builder

Mitch Lacco 

Designer

Mitch Lacco 

History

Built for Gus Johnson and called Ruby she was purchased shortly there after by Andy Johansen and named after his sister Muriel in 1917. Launched 5 March 1917 the day Mitch Lacco’s son Harold was born. Fished for some 60 years in the one ownership. During the 1970s she was one of the last Couta Boats under sail on Port Phillip and later still at Flinders. Purchased from Andy by Tim Phillips in 1986 and restored including new deck, combing and ribs. Andy Johnansen estimated that he had gone through more than 30 mainsails on the boat over the years. On restoration it was found the 1" timbers forming the plate case had worn down to half an inch. The boat probably sailed in excess of 500,000 miles under Andy’s hands. Andy recalled the original engine a ‘Halladay’ was nick named ‘Holiday’ due to its unreliability and there are many tales of his pulling (rowing) the boat back to Queenscliff from the fishing grounds. A day’s fishing often involved a 60 mile trip to Spit Point and return. The last engine fitted was a Rugby car engine typical in the 20s and 30s and it was the 1925 Rugby which brought the boat back to Queenscliff from Flinders in 1986 where Muriel was greeted by her old sparring partner the Wattle (1928).
 

Race Record

Comments

 

 

 

Featured Boats For Sale
Subscribe to our Newsletter