Home | Boats For Sale | Boats Sold | Backlot | Boat Register | Contact
Woodenboat Register

Online Boat Register


Name of Boat

Killala

Owner's Name

Les Galbraith 

Boat Location

Pittwater NSW 

Registration No.

 

Sail No.

 

Dimensions

Feet & Inches  Outside of stem to outside of transom

Overall Length

8.1m 

Maximum Draft

1.1m 

Maximum Beam

2.4m 

Centreplate Case Length

 

Construction

Planking
Structure
Framing

Carvel Clinker
Open 1/2 Cabin Cabin

Rig

Gaff Lug

Ballast

Weight

 

Material

 

Engine

Make

 

Horsepower

 

Heritage

Built

circa 1903 

Builder

unknown - beautifully restored by Ian Thomas/Shipwright Sydney NSW 

Designer

unknown 

History

Information known so far:
1904 - Photo/postcard believed to be taken in 1904, post dated 1907/1908. May be possible to identify ship in the backgorund of the photo and confirm date. Postcard apperas to written by the then owner of Killala, Arthur someone and addressed to H Ward and AK Ward of Bellevue. There is only one Ward listed in the current phone book at Bellevue. AE Ward 32 Ormond st Bellevue - unknown if related.
1908 - Racing occassionally with the Domain Sailing Squadron, name of owner not given. The Domain sailing squadron became the Derwent sailing Squadron. Their address is Marieville Esplanade, Sandy Bay Tasmania 7005.
WWI - Neil Batt, skipper of the 21ft restricted class Tassie II remembers her moored off old Sandy Bay Baths (now known as Short Beach Battery Point) towards the end of WWI.
1918 - Purchased by Mr Rupert Pennefather in Hobart and taken to Launceston. Registered with B division of the Tamar Yacht Club from 1919- 1923. (This has been confirmed by Mr Pennefathers son, Mr V Pennefather by telephone on 2/4/2003). Both Alec Campbell (Gallipoli Veteran) and his brother Malcolm sailed her during this time. Malcolm regularly raced her with her owner and sailed her 40 miles down the Tamar and out into Bass Strait. Both Alec and Malcolm thought the boat was built somewhere up the Huon River. Mr V Pennefather believes the boat was built in Sydney and taken to Hobart. This does confirm rumours that the boat was built in Sydney.
1927 - Killala registered with the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania under the ownership of Mr Norman Southey. At the time her builder and date of launch were unknown and not recorded. Her clubs registration says she had a 2cyl ford engine fitted. Mr Southey's widow. Mrs Sadie Southey is still listed in the current phone book at 1 Dover court Howrah, 7018.
1928 - Mr Southey sailed Killala from Hobart to Sydney in 8 days. An account of the trip appears in the June 1928 issue of the Australian Motor Boat and Yachting Monthly. At that time she was the smallest yacht to make that trip. Departure and arrival dates are not known, however the decription of the weather they encountered we can assume it was probably January or February. Her crew was Norm Southey, Don Love and Doug Robertson.
1939-1945....
 

Race Record

Comments

Am looking for assistance to locate builder, designer
 

 

 

Featured Boats For Sale
Subscribe to our Newsletter